Copyright (c) ? Greg van Patten
The game is played on a NxN board, say 8x8, with the following setup.
- MOVE - On each turn, each player moves one stone forward (Black moves north, White moves east) to an empty cell.
- PASS - A player can only pass if there is no move option.
- GOAL - (Patten gives 4 possible goals, I choose one) The first player to pass, loses.
Another possible goals proposed by Greg van Patten, are:
- Try to force your opponent to pass more times than yourself. The game ends when both players pass on consecutive turns.
- Try to give yourself more forced passes than your opponent. The game ends when both players pass on consecutive turns.
- The first player to pass, wins.
If Black moves the e3 stone to cell , White can only move to d3, and then Black moves to e3, stalemating White and thus, winning.
For more information about Greg van Patten work can be found at his own site.