Copyright (c) 1989 Abalone S.A. - France
Abalone is played on a 5x5 hexagonal board with 14 stones for each player.
- LINE SHIFT - A player can shift 1, 2 or 3 connected marbles on a line, one cell on one of the 2 directions, provided it is empty.
- SIDE SHIFT - A player can also shift 2 or 3 connected stones on one of the 6 directions, provided that all adjacent cells on the chosen direction, are empty.
- PUSH - A line of 2 or 3 stones can push stone opponent stones, using a line shift:
- The pushed line must be smaller that the pushing line
- If exists, the cell after the pushed line must be empty.
- If there is no cell after the pushed line, the last stone is removed from the board
- GOAL - Wins the player that removes 6 opponent stones from the board
Stones e2-f2 can line shift to cell . Stones e3-f4-g5 can side shift to cells .
Stones b3-c3 can push (2 vs. 1) and remove stone a3.
Stones c5-c6-c7 can push (3 vs. 2) stones c3-c4.
At Abalone Games, there are a lot of information about news, tactics and variations. One of these variants is Abafoot. Wins the player that pushes the neutral stone off-board.
It is possible to play Abalone with reduced rules (no side-shifts) online. Since the game turned out to be too drawish, the top Abalone players proposed a new rule change which is based on a new setup. A related optional setup is called Daisy:
A variant called DROP ABALONE starts in an empty board, and players may drop (instead of move) a friendly stone on an empty cell (all stones start off-board in each player's reserve). Here's a sample game:
[14 stones each, 7 stones to win]
1. e5 c4
2. d5 b3
3. e6 c2
4. d4 f5
5. c3 f6
6. e4 g6
7. d6 g7
8. f7 f5f6-f7
9. c6 h6
10. d3 h8
11. c3 f6f7-f8
12. f6 f7f8:f9
13. c6f6-g6 f7
14. d5e6-g8 h7
15. c3f6-g7 h8-i8
16. c6f6-g6 i8h7-g6
17. d3f5-g6 f8f9-e7e8
18. e4g6-h7:i8 hi6-gh5
19. f5g7-i8:i8 g8-f8
20. f7h7-e7 resigns
. . . . . 1
. . X . . . 2
. X . . . . . 3
. . X O . . . . 4
. . O . O . X X . 5
/ . . O O O O . . 6
a . X O O O . . 7
b / . X X . . O 8
c . . . . X 9
d / / /
e f g h i
Captures: XXX – 2, OOO - 1
Pieces left to drop: XXX – 1, OOO – 3
Check also a modern variant, with Abalone movements: Abanondas.